Saturday, December 26, 2009

A Different Immersion: Old Hobbies

Location: Modeling Table

I spend less time in virtual worlds, now that my class that included Second Life has ended. And in that interim, old hobbies are quite literally coming out of the closet. I just don't feel up to doing a December road-trip in SL, because--to be honest--I'm a little bored with virtual worlds right now. I'll regain my explorer's spirit soon enough; this is actually a typical pattern for me, after spending enough time writing, gardening, or doing paper-and-pencil gaming.

I find, as I finish work on a 1/72 scale B-52D Stratofortress, that I regained the sort of "lost in time" immersion that good online engagement permits. I can labor at a model kit for hours, and the hours pass in the twinkling of an eye.

The same applies to my playing board games of the old "Conflict Simulation" sort popular in the 1970s. As I play the Avalon Hill classic Russian Campaign, I forget where I am as I push my Soviet Guards across the steppes to stem the invasion by Nazi Germany.

When the spring comes, the day will pass in the twinkling of an eye in my garden or doing some outdoor carpentry work.

I wonder if many of my most committed friends in virtual worlds are also hobbyists when away from the computer. Are non-hobbyists as likely to take up online worlds?

If you find yourself with any free time during the holidays, it's worth a thought.

No comments: